Thursday, December 25, 2008

Year-End Mileage

This is the cyclometer from my singlespeed road bike. About 120 miles of this is from Sunday training rides and playing around, but the rest of it is from riding to and from work and using those commutes as training rides. I live nine miles from my office, but depending on the route, the morning rides could be up to 30 miles, and the ride home could be up to 15 miles. Through it all, my little Specialized Langster suffered only a broken spoke and no flat tires, though it took a beating and kept on ticking.

This is from my road bike, which I bought in August and only got to ride on a few Sundays plus one weekday ride. However, being that the bike is full carbon fiber, those were 507 fast, comfortable, and confident miles. If you're thinking about buying a carbon bike, I highly recommend the Giant TCR line.

BTW, no mechanicals or punctures on this bike either, plus no flats on my 'cross rig, so that makes 2008 a flat tire-free season for me. Yes, 2,633 miles for 2008 and the only damage was one popped spoke and no flats. Sweet!

(update: just did a quick 12-miler before Shabbat. No flats, no mechanicals. Made it through the year safely - B"H. Shabbat Shalom to everybody, and I'll see you on the roads January 1st, 2009).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mazel Tov!

Jim said...

Jason, you've great taste in bikes. The singlespeed/fixed for utility/training, and the TCR for geared riding. Of course I have no way of knowing whether that really comprises great taste, but it's what I like and have found to work. So I think it's great. I hope you're having a great Hanukkah and Happy New Year while I'm at it.